Wednesday 25 September 2013

Travis Liddell, Orthopaedic Surgeon, Sioux Falls SD

Travis R. Liddell M.D.
Travis Liddell, Orthopedic Surgeon


I am a board-certified, orthopedic surgeon who specializes in general orthopedics, with special interests including, but not limited to, sports injuries, trauma, hip/knee/shoulder arthroscopy, and joint replacement. My initial medical training was completed at Loyola University in Chicago, followed by my orthopedic residency training at Tripler Army Medical Center in Honolulu, HI.

After my residency training, I served at Womack Army Medical Center at Fort Bragg, NC, home of our 82nd Airborne and Special Forces, where I served as a staff orthopedic surgeon to our country’s active duty soldiers, veterans, retirees, and their families. In addition, I was asked to serve as the designated staff Orthopedic Surgeon and Sports Physician for an elite special forces unit for the US Army Special Operations Command. Having the opportunity to serve this unique group of professional soldiers and athletes allowed me to expand my experience in sports medicine, arthroscopy, and trauma while working with some of our countries most elite athletes and professional soldiers. In addition, Fort Bragg was an excellent place to gain experience in trauma with the large airborne division stationed there, as well as total joint replacement, since it had a large veteran referral population from the local VA hospital.

In 2010, as part of my service in the Army, I deployed to Iraq to serve with the 28th Combat Support Hospital. During my time there, I provided acute trauma and orthopedic care to our soldiers injured in combat, as well as surgical care to Iraqi soldiers, Iraqi civilians, British Allied soldiers, and contractors supporting our mission from a variety of other nations. Despite the hardships and sacrifices of an oversees deployment, I was humbled and honored to be given the opportunity to provide care to our military personnel serving our country.

In 2011, I was able to pursue my goal of traveling to East Africa for a volunteer medical mission at Tenwek Hospital in rural Kenya. While both demanding and incredibly rewarding, this opportunity as a staff orthopedic surgeon once again allowed me to gain experience with patients of a variety of ages, medical conditions, and a variety of challenging traumatic injuries. This opportunity also allowed me to participate in teaching surgical residents at the Academy of Christian Surgeons Surgical Residency Program in Bomet, Kenya.

This year, after nine years of active duty service, I am leaving the military to join a phenomenal group of physicians at CORE Orthopedics – Avera Medical Group in Sioux Falls, SD. I am very excited to join this group of experienced surgeons, and my family and I are proud to become members of the Sioux Falls community. I would be honored to care for you or your family with any of your orthopedic concerns or injuries to the best of my ability."

Dr. Liddell is board certified by the American Board of Orthopedic Surgery. He is a fellow in the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgery, and is also an active member of the Arthroscopy Association of North America as well as the Society of Military Orthopedic Surgeons. He has received multiple awards for his research work in orthopedic surgery as well as several other awards for his military service as an orthopedic surgeon. While providing care for our military’s men and women in a combat zone, he was awarded the Bronze Starfor his service during Operation Iraqi Freedom.

1 comment:

  1. Your post is really good providing good information.. I liked it and enjoyed reading it. Keep sharing such important posts more Phoenix Orthopedic Doctor

    ReplyDelete